Chilli Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Regular readers will no doubt be familiar with the Moist Chocolate Cake recipe I posted a few weeks ago. When I needed a cake for Joe’s birthday, of course I went for another one of those. However, this time I didn’t have anything to hand for a filling/topping so I whipped up a quick chocolate buttercream. It was nice, but somehow I just wanted it to be a little more… interesting.
I added some vanilla seeds and that helped, but there was still something lacking. I decided to try a pinch of chilli powder, and that turned out to be the answer! I’m a big fan of chilli flavoured chocolate (and chocolate with salt crystals in it for that matter) so it made perfect sense to me.
I only added a scant pinch, I’d say probably quarter of a teaspoon at the most. The idea wasn’t to be able to taste it outright, just to give the flavour a bit more depth and a tiny bit of warmth. Everyone loved it and nobody could identify what the secret ingredient was. Give it a try!
- 125g softened butter
- 250g sifted icing sugar
- 65g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Small pinch of chilli powder
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the vanilla paste, cocoa powder and chilli powder and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Makes enough to both fill and top a standard sized round cake (9 inches or so across).
- Sprinkle some grated chocolate or cocoa powder on top to finish if you like.